Sunday, March 14, 2010

Finding more to do

I took off the rear plastic so I could get to the rear rubber. It had rotted out completely and I wanted to get a new one in there so I could play. By play, I don't mean "I'm done!" but just test plays.

I found more problems than the rubber. First, boy is it dirty! I know it's not time for finishing, but leaving it as dirty as it is will only cause problems. I'll be vacuuming it out and cleaning up all of the dust.

The targets have foam backing. It's missing. The targets are $6 each. I wonder if I can refurb them or if I'll need to buy all new targets.

There were also som holes where something must have been screwed at one time. I wonder what those are for?

I'm coming to the conclusion that I have to stop worrying about making things perfect. I wanted to make everything as good as possible, but this is my first machine and I'll drive myself crazy trying to make it perfect. I'll settle for clean, functioning, and reliable. I don't have enough experience for perfect and this machine has been too hacked to hope for that anyway.

1 comment:

  1. If the targets are fine, just get some weatherstripping from a home improvement store and cut to size with a razor knife. Clean the bracket the foam sits on with some alcohol or other solvent until the glue residue is gone, then install the fresh.

    You can get enough foam to do a lot of targets for less than the price of 1 new target.

    ReplyDelete