Thursday, March 11, 2010

Mission 1 Accomplished: Find a machine

I found a listing for a decent F-14 Tomcat on Craig’s List. At first, I wasn’t sure that I really wanted it, but Chad knocked some sense into my head. I wish I still had the listing, but it’s gone now. In short: F-14 Tomcat – Plays but needs work.


From: Mike
To: sale-*****-**********@craigslist.org
Sent: Mon, March 1, 2010
Subject: F-14

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

Where is this machine located?



From: Joe **********
To: Mike
Date: Mon, Mar 1, 2010
Subject Re: F-14

crystal lake 60012



From: Mike
To: Joe *************
Date: Mon, Mar 1, 2010
Subject: Re: F-14

Joe,

I live really close (Lake in the Hills) and I'm really interested. Is there anything else I need to know? This will be my first Pinball project and it seems like a really good one.

Will you be around tonight?



From: Joe **********
To: Mike Date: Mon, Mar 1, 2010
Subject Re: F-14

someone is coming now to buy it. If they for some reason don't I'll let you know.

Joe




I am crushed. Joe is a nice guy and he invited me over a few nights later to see some of the machines in his garage. A Whitewater, Lost in Space, and Sharkey’s Shootout. It would be nice to meet someone in the hobby that lives nearby so I took him up on his invitation. Chad was going to come with me. I sent him an e-mail saying we’ll be there at 8 PM.







From: Joe **********
To: Mike
Date: Wed, Mar 3, 2010
Subject Re: F-14

Sounds good but.... I have another F14 for sale. I am picking it up tomorrow, are you interested?? I will be asking the same [$] for it. It works but needs work so the guy tells me.How about meeting tomorrow and you can see and play the F14. If not I will list on CL tonight.

Joe






The clouds part, a beam of light shines down on me.

It turns out the machine is in rougher shape than the first one and Joe agrees to sell it for $150 cheaper. He also threw in a few new rubbers. We played some Lost in Space which is a lower rated game on IPDB, but I had fun. The magnetic spinning disk is wicked. Maybe it’s been in 100 games already, but these are my first.

After that, we brought the machine home and the journey started.

No comments:

Post a Comment