Sunday, April 4, 2010

Rebuilding Targets

Rebuilding a target or two is interesting.  Rebuilding 20 targets is a little less interesting.  I'll just talk about the first one I did, then you can read it 20 times if you want to relive the whole experience with me.

Here is the before picture of a bank of targets:
You can see they are a little grungy.  Also, these targets have a bit of foam behind them to cushion the blow from the ball.  I was getting a lot of "Airborn Balls" when they would bounce off the uncushioned targets.  It's not just a matter of saving the switch, but preventing damage done by the ball flying around.

I removed each of the targets one at a time.  Before I did, I would take 3 or 4 pictures of the wiring on every bank I removed.  There are a lot of wires in place and honestly, I have a bad memory for these things and I need to refer back to the pictures.

I think you can see where I might get confused.  Which lead was the white/red wire soldered to?  Oh man, where did the green/purple wires go?

Here is the lineup of tools and supplies I got for this job:

Novus 1 and 2 for cleaning up the plastic pads.  A X-acto knife for removing old foam and cutting new foam, Acetone for cleaning old glue, a roll of 3/8" wide weather stripping bought at the hardware store for $3.99 (enough for more targets than you have), lastly, not shown are q-tips for getting the tight spots clean and a business card for cleaning contacts.

Before:



After removing the target, I cut the old pad and scraped away much of the glue with the x-acto knife.

I got much of the glue up with the knife, then used acetone and a q-tip to clean out the rest.  I then slipped a business card between the contacts on the switch, lightly squeezed it closed, then pulled the business card out.  I'm told you don't want to do much more than that.  The contacts can be damaged be cleaning any more aggressive than that.

I then cleaned the front with Novus 2 then finished the front and as much of the back as I could get with novus 1.  Using the old piece of foam as a size reference, I used the x-acto knife to cut off a new piece of foam.  The foam has an adhesive back to hold it in place.  Here are the after shots:


Really there is not much more to it than that.  I put them back where they belonged, made sure the solder joints were strong and clean, then tested the target with the system switch test before I moved on to the next one.  I found it take about 8 to 10 minutes per target once you get on a roll.

I just need to repeat the process 10 more times and I'll be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment