Friday, July 2, 2010

Back from F-14 Haitus - Beacons

I'm back.  I will probably have a few rapid posts as I catch up on my blogging.  Some of this stuff has been sitting on my camera for a while.

I finally sourced out the last two beacons that I needed.  I know these look rough, but they just need a little cleaning.  I cleaned them a bit with Novus 1, but the paint still remains on the top of them.  I'll cover cleaning the paint up and polishing the plastic in an upcoming post.

This entry is about cleaning up and rebuilding the beacon assembly.

Here is the assembly with one of the reflectors removed.  I used some Naptha, Acetone, Novus 1, and Novus 2 to get it all cleaned up.

You can see that there is quite a bit of grunge and dust built up.  There was oil on the electric motor and I couldn't figure out where that could have come from.  The belts were misssing, I got new ones from Marco Pinball, but you can see the rubber built up on the pullies.  The reflector needed some shining up too.

I used some acetone to clean up the oily grimey mess.  Here is a shot of it half finished so you can see how bad it was.  Where did that oil come from?

Here are the parts all cleaned up.


There isn't much else to say about this.  The parts are cleaned up, I put it all back together again, and this is how it looks in action.


You can see they spin and light up, it's really cool.  The thing you don't know from these pictures is that with everything all squeaky clean... it squeaks.  I had to put a little oil in the bushings, and my guess is that over time, oil built up.  As I'm writing this, it occurs to me that I should have squeezed some graphite in there to kill the squeak and not get any oily buildup.

So the beacons are done.

I spent some time cleaning up the rest of my stationary targets.  I rebuilt 20 of them in all.

On to some of the other things on the list.

Oh, yea, I made a list too.

No comments:

Post a Comment