Monday, September 6, 2010

Holy crap! That's a lot of work.

I've just finished "shopping out" the lower playfield.  This means I stripped the parts off, cleaned them all up, touched up bad scratches, polished up metal, and gave it all a good look before reassembling it all.

It took me a little over 8 hours.  And I didn't make any mistakes that cost me any time really.  I didn't have to re-do anything and I didn't spend much time puzzling over how things went back together.  I may have been a little too meticulous, but really, can you be?

I'm happy with the results, and a bit daunted by the upper playfield which is much more complex than the lower playfield.

Before.  Some parts already stripped.


After.  Clean and bright.  About 95% assembled.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Home Made Playfield Rotisserie

I've finally reached the point where it's time to work on the playfield.  I have seen three or four of these home made playfield rotisseries and since it costs about $250 to buy one pre-built I thought it prudent to make my own.

This is with about $60 worth of parts from the hardware store.  Chad helped make it (them really, we made two) and I'm very proud of it.  The feet on the bottom swivel away for easy storage and they may it rock solid.

If there's one flaw, it's that I made it too big.  The playfield sits maybe 8 inches higher off the table than it has to.  I'll be modifying it a little to drop the "pivot" hardware the eight inches.  It shouldn't take long to do.


One day when I'm feeling a bit more industrius, I'll post the measurements. 

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Night and Day

It's nice to be at the point where I'm doing little things like polishing plastic.  I am shocked by how well the Novus products work.

Before

Novus 3, then 2, and finally 1.  Oh, also a lot of elbow grease and paper towels.  (Toss some arm cramps in there too.)

Note the paint scuffs and fine scratches gone.  They have a nice iridescence now.